How wireless EV charging works
Here’s how we cut the cord on electric vehicle charging
Wireless power is just as safe, proven, and fast as charging with a cord.
The Plugless Power EV charging system uses a centuries-old concept called inductive power transfer – the same technology used in both household products and electrical transformers around the world. Using magnetic fields, energy is transferred from the transmitting coil in the parking pad and converted into an electrical current by the receiving coil in the vehicle adapter.
No actual electricity flows between the vehicle adapter and the parking pad. Only the compatible coils can make this energy transfer possible – ensuring total safety for anything that comes into contact with the system. Together with an expert installation from Sears Home Services, your Plugless Power wireless EV charging system is safe, reliable, and simple.
Each Plugless Power charging system consists of these simple components, which can be tailored for different configurations based on your needs.
- Vehicle adapter: the receiving coil for the induction charging process – permanently installed underneath the vehicle and specially designed by our engineers for each EV model
- Parking pad: the floor-mounted enclosure for the transmitting coil of the wireless charging system
- Power control module: the wall-mounted enclosure that houses all control and power supply components for the system (the commercial model includes an integrated indicator panel)
- Indicator panel: the wall-mounted panel that guides EV drivers to properly align the car with the parking pad, displays charging status, and shows diagnostic information to the EV owner (included in residential models)
Using the Plugless Power system
1. Plugless Power recognizes your EV as it approaches and provides parking guidance.
2. Once the car is over the parking pad, the system communicates with your EV based on the SAE J1772 protocol used in corded systems, and automatically starts charging.
3. The indicator panel communicates charging status.
4. When your car is fully charged, the system turns off. And if you need to leave before charging is complete, simply back up and charging stops.
Installing the Plugless Power system in your vehicle and home
Plugless Power is available for your electric vehicle as a factory-install option or as a retrofit for your existing EV – with charging station installation by the professionals at Sears Home Services.